A Very Special Centenary Skydive

5a244919-5e8e-4202-8b06-7b07ce02f9c9 (1)Proof that age should never hold you back from achieving your goals, Syd will be celebrating his 100th birthday by jumping out of a plane at 10,000ft!

His astounding centenary tandem skydive is all to raise money for  Great Ormond Street Hospital. A charity that have been transforming the lives of sick children and their families since 1852.

Syd has lived a full life in both England and Africa. He has children,  grandchildren, great grandchildren and even great great grandchildren and he is still not ready to stop having adventures!

We asked Syd about about life, the secret to a long and healthy life and deciding to free fall…

 

Q: What made you go to Africa after the war

A: I had a taste of Africa during my time with the army in West Africa and when they were recruiting for people to go to the colonies in Northern Rhodesia I jumped at the opportunity and adventure. I lived there for over 50 years, and would love to go back one day!

4a403867-c306-484a-a669-3665ba0a6e05

Q: What adventures did you have there?

A: We had so many interesting times and met so many interesting characters. Our lives revolved around getting into the bush as often as possible. Initially we lived very simply just outside of a small town.

Q: How long were you married?

A: I was married for 71 years sadly my wife Olive died in 2013

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I keep busy with I-pad art! I have a workshop with a wood lathe where I make all sorts of things, lamps, bowls, candle sticks. I  have a passion for gardening, and have a small garden which I look after.

5ec6d75b-58ec-4c19-ac89-e7db76bbc123

Q:What do you attribute your mental and physical well-being to?

A: I have never smoked, only drink occasionally on a social basis, eat moderately and have always been active.

Q:What made you decide to do this jump?

It is something I have thought about and then decided would be a good idea at 100 and I could make it count by raising money for a charity. I still think I can do a lot more physically than is possible, so the Skydive is a real goal for me.

Q: Why did you choose GOSH?

I wanted anything raised to be for sick children. With GOSH it would go to so many areas vital to help sick children, their families and research.

7a834380-f117-4a9a-a6dc-0cfc1e8c3fad

 

Find out more about Syd’s tandem skydive here.

 


Comments